5 Facts You Need To Know About Mary Twala! The nation is currently mourning the passing of Mam’ Mary Twala, a legendary actress and mother to media personality Somizi Mhlongo.
Twala’s acting career started after her older sister took her to an audition, the director saw that she could sing and he cast her for her first role in 1963. Up until the time of her death, she’s been acting and scoring lead roles.
In case you didn’t know much about the veteran actress. Here are some facts you need to know about Mary Twala.
1. Mary Twala was born on 14 September 1939 in Orlando East, Soweto but raised by her aunt in Swaziland.
2. She was married to legendary comic character, Ndaba ‘Mshefane’ Mhlongo until his death. They had one child together, Somizi Mhlongo in 1972.
3. In 2019, President Cyril Ramaphosa awarded Mary Twala The Order of Ikhamanga in SILVER for her excellent contribution to the performing arts and awareness on women’s health issues.
4. In 2011, she earned a Best Supporting Actress nomination in the 6th Africa Movie Academy Awards for her role as “Ma Dolly” in Hopeville.
5. Mam’ Mary died on the birthday of her late husband Ndaba Mhlongo, the 4th of July 2020 at Netcare Park Lane Private Hospital around 11 am.